Each adopter will be assigned a plot in the Arboretum area depending on their group size and skill level. Adopters need to first provide the following:
• Class and work schedules or general availability throughout the semester of adoption
• 2 hours (minimum) a week of labor on the plot
• Two (2) dedicated adopters that will work on the plot
• Their own seeds or plants (plants must be legal, non-invasive and annual plants)
• Closed toed shoes and re-useable water bottles
• A satisfactory score on the Arboretum activities guide quiz (given after the application is processed)
The Arboretum will provide tools, but only during our operating hours. Adoptions periods will be one semester with the opportunity to renew upon staff inspection and approval, and depending on demand for plots. Failure to uphold adoption requirements can result in adopters losing their plot. Adopters will be given one warning email stating the concerns and needed corrective action. If the concerns are not addressed or if there are continuing problems, the plot will be reassigned to a new individual or group. Individual and general volunteering is available Monday through Friday at the hours noted by the current volunteer schedule (available in our office).